Friday, April 4, 2008

Friday on my mind

Tonight starts the weekend. I have a wine tasting and dinner to go to. I've been to these before and they are always fun even if I do end up having a little more than I should. The rest of the weekend shapes up to be fairly quiet. I know I'll see Janet and Roberta but don't know who else. Probably see Coleen beforehand although I know I need to move away from that soon.

Yesterday I rode home on the train with my friend Mariana. I know her since I started at work 15 years ago. That would make her one of my oldest friends. She's been married for about 6 years. Anyway I told her about Coleen and she gave me some very sobering advice. She said that I really need to put forth my position and see if there really is any chance that we could have a real date. She said so it in a way that allows us to be friends no matter what but ask her if she does like me in a sexual way. This is something that I've never done with someone who was unattached never mind someone who appears to really want someone else. I'm not sure I can put myself out there like that even though I know she is right. We talked about it a little and what she suggested was to just tell her without asking for any action from her. Just to let her know that I have intentions. Most of all she said do not use the word "love" as it would be way too scary for her to hear.

It was good for her to say to me. I'll look for an opportunity to make a statement but most likely it won't happen for a while. I hate the idea of asking a question when the answer isn't already obvious.  

It would be nice if I had an advocate who know her and can feel her out a little but I'm alone on an island on this one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your train friend gave you good advice.  You need to move on either way.  And what's the absolute worst that could happen?  She could say "I just want to be friends."  And that's ok, because you are already friends, right?
But...  she may say she has been feeling the same way!  You'll never know until you speak up.
Why don't you say something like...  "You know, if you didn't have a boyfriend, I would love to take you on a real date."  And just see what her reaction is.  That's not too forward, and then you are putting the ball in her court.  
And yes, I did send my friend to your journal.  And it IS gripping.  You need to post more bar pictures so we can feel like we are right there watching.  Like your own reality show!  :)  
My sister and her 5 children were just here for a visit, so I must go and survey the damage to my house and start the clean-up process.
Have a good weekend.
Jen

Anonymous said...

She just gave you some good advice also... When I like someone I always kinda flirt with them but than again it's a lot easier for a women to do so then for a guy. I wish I knew a really good way of approaching her. I think everything will turn out good in the end though. Even if she don't want to be more then friends.