Monday, February 14, 2011

The unplanned weekend

I thought I would lay low this weekend but that didn't exactly go as planned. If that is a good thing only time will tell. Friday night I went to my sister's house to see how well my brother-in-law was doing since he is back from the hospital. My brother and sister-in-law were also there so it turned into a more social thing. It was not a long night as my sister was very tired and so is her husband Ken. We shared a pizza and were done by 7:00. So from there I went up to the bar to watch the hockey and basketball on the tv. I didn't expect to see Coleen there since her usual M.O. (Modis Operandai) is to be gone by 7. And I was right. More about that later.
So I didn't want to stay too late as I was trying not to spend too much money. I saw Jami there and she was upset because her pet cat had died suddenly. That's 2 animals gone in just a few days. I told her how sorry I was and I sincerely was. She left soon after and I promised to give her a call the next day. After 2 drinks I was done and headed to the car to go home.
I got to my car and saw parked next to me was Janet's car. Since she wasn't in the bar I knew she was in the restaurant bar that was further down the street. For some reason I thought it would be rude if I didn't at least go in and say hello. That was an error on my part. Janet and Roberta were there hanging out with some other people that I sort of know. They are much older. And they were giving me the serious cold shoulder, especially Roberta. I am so sick of her act. Janet seemed okay if not just a little drunk. I considered leaving but I didn't want to give them the satisfaction. So I stayed and bought one drink with the last of the cash I had. I ended up bumping into a girl I knew from high school. Actually she knew me because I had no idea who she was. With that I left.
Woke up early on Saturday and did the gym. I saw Lisa there. She hadn't been going since before Christmas so it's good to see her getting back into it a little. It was her birthday Sunday. She had plans to be with the fiance and the rest of her family. I didn't get any kind of invite which in all honesty is fine since I hadn't gotten her a present. Now that she is officially engaged I don't think I can feel comfortable around her family while they make wedding plans. I spent the rest of the day doing laundry and cooking.
I managed to scrape up $20 so I thought I might hang out for a bit at happy hour. I was having a really good night shooting pool. The only way I could lose was by my scratching on the eight ball. I think I won about 6 out of the eight games I played. While playing I did see Coleen come in but she stayed only briefly and never really spoke to me. She was mad at Tommy again and since I didn't want to hear it I was glad she spoke to other people. As she left I said I was sad we didn't get a chance to talk. But she just left. The rest of my night was uneventful.
Sunday came and I was awake early. As I laid in bed I couldn't decide whether I would even venture out. But I got up and was showered and shaved by 8:30. As I sat and read the paper the phone rang. My old scuba diving friends were sharing breakfast at the diner. Oops. Forgot about that. So I hopped into the car and headed there. It was good to see them. I wish I could plan something with them but I still don't see my financial situation allowing that. But I felt good reconnecting with friends.
With that I was heading home at about 11 when I got a text from Coleen. I'm never sure about what that will bring and of course there is no plan. She wanted to go to the mall and we now are shopping buddies. Yeah, I know ... a little gay. But it was a chance to spend the day with her so I jumped on it. She said she has decided to spend more time at home making sure to have a proper dinner for herself and her parents. I sensed this has more to do with her falling out with Tommy than anything. She had a grocery store list so we went food shopping. Let me tell you something ... Coleen takes forever to go food shopping. We were 2 hours in that store. She did buy a lot of food ... more than $100. She really is planning to cook more. It is her intention to stay home more. From what I could see there was enough food for a couple weeks of dinners.
While shopping I got a call from Chris. I knew Coleen was planning a dinner with her parents and hadn't mentioned more than that I figured I would plan my own thing with Chris and invited him to dinner. Coleen then said I needed to stay for dinner there and this then turned into a huge deal with Chris coming there and me bring my big plate of ziti along with the stew Coleen made. It ended up being a lot more fun than I thought it would be.
We laughed and ate and before I knew it I had stayed past 8 PM. As I said good bye I noticed Coleen's phone had a missed call and pointed it out to her. She just dismissed it. With that Chris and I were out the door. Last thing I said to Chris was how it seems like the best days are the one's where I make no plans and just let them happen.
Today is Valentines day and I've nothing to show for it. Oh well, I can make the best of it.

No comments: