Monday, February 28, 2011

Long story from a long weekend

A lot has happened in the last 3 or 4 days but I'm not really sure where to start. Things are a little less out of my control than usual but I still can't figure out what I need to do. I'm sure this is going to sound worse than it is. Let's just say there was a lot of alcohol involved.
For starters Thursday night is so long ago I need to search my mind to recall exact what my night was. I have found that the time stamp feature on my phone helps me reconstruct my memory. Since I had scheduled a day off for Friday i figured I could go out for a while on Thursday night. I texted my friend Jimmy and we planned to play some pool. I've been doing a lot of pool playing lately and only recently took my old cue out of the attic. They found me a nice place to store it in the bar so I can always count on using it. I get there and was happy to see Coleen's car there so I figured I'd get to say hello to her. She was in a much better mood than the night before but she was also chatting it up with everyone but me. So I focused on pool and talked her only just before she left. Jimmy likes Coleen more or less like I do only not to the obsessive way I do. He clues me onto things that I might ordinarily miss, such as her infatuation with these older guys ... really old ... 65 and 70 years old. Jimmy says she has huge "daddy" issues. Something I'd missed before but it makes more and more sense.
Thursday ended fine and I was home reasonably early and up on Friday and did my gym workout. Then I began to run some errands when I got my first text message from Coleen. Her messages have been coming fairly regular lately. I pretty much get one at some point almost every day. I try not to make anything of it since it's been going on since we've met. I tried to stop but it's very validating to know she thinks about me at random times of day.
So Friday afternoon we were back and forth messaging and I just assumed that some 5 o'clock she would show up in the bar so I made sure to go there. Well, 5 o'clock comes and goes and no Coleen. I wasn't going to do anything about it but when 3 people all asked me where she was I just figured I'd send her a text. She responded right away that she was home and not feeling well. I had my doubts but figured the best thing would be to just move on and so I did. I thought it was odd that she would go into the bar everyday and not show up on a Friday night. I just figured she was waiting on the boyfriend Tommy.
After that I just did what I do ... played pool and had fun talking to everyone else. I was home a little late but no too late. I was up early on Saturday and was playing with my new laptop and found out that my old printer didn't have the right cable. So I was figuring on heading to Staples before that I sent a text to Coleen to see if she was feeling better. She said she was at the bar having a bloody mary. It wasn't quite 1 o'clock in the afternoon. I guess since she didn't come out Friday she needed to make up for it? Staples is actually right across the street from the bar so I stopped in after getting my cable. My day began to spiral out of control at this point. I went in and it was quiet so I sat with Coleen and enjoyed her company. The only other person there was a guy name of Luke that I'd never met. We switch from bloody mary to wine and we played pool. The guy Luke was pretty chatty and Coleen had plans to see Tommy for dinner so I was just going with the flow. I know I should have gotten something to eat but I completely lost track of time. I think Coleen left at 4 and I was thinking she was not in any shape for going out. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
As always I kind of taking things in and try not to process them too much but there are always moments that make me realize I'm not ever going to get what I want. Coleen was sure to make it known that we have never slept together. Right, and she has a boyfriend now ... in case I forgot. Oh and she had made sure to shave all three areas.... "Three?" I said. Legs, underarms and "the other one". Yeah, that one stuck with for a while... a girl shaves before a date ... well I know what that means. Thank God some other friends came in so I could get away from that conversation.
She left and I was still there as I had no where to go and most of my friends had shown up. Problem was I was already into my 5th glass of wine and it was hitting me like a ton of bricks and it didn't help that I had yet to eat. And I wasn't leaving until about 6:30 and I knew there was no driving. I managed to get another friend to take me home and I left my car in the lot. When I got home I planned to cook some dinner but passed out on the couch instead. Probably wasn't even 8 o'clock yet. Turned out the lights and went to bed and slept until about 5:30. Then tossed and turned for an hour and remembered the car needed to be retrieved. So I woke up and had some coffee and grabbed my coat and started walking. It's about 2 miles so it wasn't too bad.
I got the car home and spent the rest of my day glued to the couch. It was at about 2:30 I got a text from Coleen. We actually had a phone conversation and I reluctantly asked how her dinner was ... she said fine ... she had salmon. My thoughts were that she handled the wine better than I did. Apparently not because later on when I went to see Jimmy he told me that after I had left Saturday night ... and not long after I'd left... Coleen came back into the bar in tears because she and Tommy had broken up. When I told Jimmy I'd spoken to her and even asked how the dinner was and she never even hinted at anything unusual had happened he just shook his head and said not to really say anything. Crazy huh? Don't know what to think except she does that. I never want to be shoulder she cries on anyway. I had enough of that from Lisa.
That leaves me wondering what the details are but I don't dare ask. I can guess that when Tommy took one look at her she it must have been obvious that she had too many drinks already and he flipped out on her. I may be partially responsible but only barely. She was in the bar already when I went, but it may have been my company that put her there. But she has been such an emotional train wreck lately you would think he would have given her some slack. Maybe I will never really know.

No comments: