Thursday, February 24, 2011

Overbooked

I went from the quiet solitude of Tuesday to last night having 3 dinner invites. First invite was Lisa asking if I wanted to eat out at a Japanese restaurant. Second was Coleen asking if I'd like to share dinner with her family to celebrate her mom's birthday. Third was my sister. Typical of my life. It's feast or famine.
Guess which one I picked. Of course I went to Coleen's and celebrated her mom's birthday. I stopped and picked her mom up some flowers I thought she might like. Her mom seems like she is over her severe depression and has become very outgoing. It's nice to see someone getting better instead of worse. Last year you would never have seen her react, let alone smile.
As the evening went on Coleen had more than a little wine. She had some emotional moments. I mean in a bad way. She still missing her deceased dog. She is now also upset with her dad and her brother. I think all this probably comes from another issue that she can't deal with right now. Her life is no where near how she would like it. But it's not for me to fix her problems, as much I want to. I think the thing that was most bothering her is her guy Tommy wasn't around or even calling her. He will do that for days at a time. I guess I've always known Coleen is very insecure but it's harder for me to see it because I've never been the one she wants to see or hear from.
For me it was a much better evening. I had a few chats with her and at the end of the evening I asked why Jimmy didn't come and her response kind of surprised me. She said something along the lines of how I am much more important to her that Jimmy. Don't know how she meant that.
When I left it was a little late but I was home in plenty of time to get a good night's sleep. I actually had one of the most restful sleeps I've had in a while.
Coleen's birthday is next Tuesday. The little voice in my head is saying to step back and not do anything special and see how it goes. Last year I had a present for her that she received by mail. She said she liked it but I never really got a sense of how much. I still don't have a gift for her and I'm not sure if she really cares if I get her something or not. Right now I'm leaning toward "not".

No comments: