Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I Am a Survivor

I've been holding off a bit this week from writing. I want there to be something big but there just isn't. One day rolls into the next and now another month has come and gone. I don't know what to make of February. It's a short month but seems like there are a lot of thing that happen. But probably not for this year.
Tomorrow is Ground Hog Day which by tradition indicates an early spring if the groundhog doesn't see his shadow. While I do not buy into the myth I do mark the day because it is now close to 6 weeks since the start of winter. The half way point. Next will be Ash Wednesday. Always somewhere between those days I start to notice the days beginning to lengthen. It won't bee long before the sun will be up as I leave the house in the morning. I've already noticed that my walk to the train in the afternoon is in sunshine. I've been fortunate to not have snow to deal with as the only snowfall of significance occurred on a Saturday. It's still 2 months until April but at least it may start to look closer. I've always felt like Ash Wednesday occurs at the deadest part of winter but then we have Easter and the renewal that brings. I do have some good memories of Easter. I always put away the dullness and dreariness of winter and begin the process of being optimistic. Up until then it's just a matter of survival.

No comments: