Friday, June 24, 2005

Making plans

I took Thursday off to get my sailboat into it's slip in the marina. Finally after 2 years I can be a sailor again. I'm fairly ashamed to admit this but on July 12, 2003 I was sailing near Connecticut in the Long Island Sound when I bumped a submerged rock and thus began the unravelling of my life. I am just now getting my self-esteem up to where it was.

Since my parents were up from Florida, my mom offered to join me for the cruise from Port Washington to Sea Cliff... about a 2 hour sail. I also had my 2 nephews along. The boat is essentially empty with no food of drinks and no interial accomidations such as cushions. My plan was to get it done before lunch.

Well, that didn't work out so great. I had to make a side trip to the airport because Lisa was in Arizona and needed a ride home at 8 a.m. That took until 10:30... then to my sister's to get everyone. no one was ready so 45 minutes getting everone together. Finally get to the boat at 11:30. Another half an hour getting underway and finally at noon I am away from the dock. 

It felt great to be at the helm. Went slow, slow, slow.  Ran on diesel and made only 5.5 knots. But it was a beautiful day and practically no wind so it was a good day on the water. I was in the slip ay 2:15. Nothing was set up so I needed about an hour and a half to set the lines and I only have that done temporary. I'll get the permanant arrangement over the weekend.  

So now I can spend my summer on the water again provided I get all the part back in order. You see .... while repairs were going on I had to take all the contents of the boat and find storage for them. Most of the items are in my brother's business garage, some at my house and still some were in a garage. It may take the whole summer before I get everything gathered together again.

Meanwhile I have my neice, Katie's graduation tonight. A family event. I'll be going alone. Maybe I'll wander out afterwards. Where to go?

Also found out that Lisa was accepted into the master training program for the Yoga center. She was expecting to be going away from July 1 to July 15th but now it won't be until September. I'm glad. I didn't want her to be gone for July 4th although I have no idea if she will go to my fireworks party on the boat.  

No comments: