Monday, October 31, 2005

Weekend Part 1

I got called on the way home Friday night to meet Janet and friends. They were having drinks and dinner at an Italian restaurant in Glen Cove. So I left the house and got there at 7:30 and they had about a 30 minute head start on me.

We all were drinking wine and Janet, Roberta and Judy were standing at the bar talking to these two guys that had been part of a trip to Block Island earlier last month. I divided my time between Janet and Roberta and I was trying to figure out who these guys were. The two guys both seemed interested in the same thing I was and of course were more forward about it. So I would find myself talking to Judy a lot.

Judy is nice but let's face it... she has been hit with the ugly stick a little bit. She is very heavy and dresses like a lesbian. In fact, one of her friends saw her in the dim light and thought she was a guy.

As always Janet was being social and pretty much talking to everyone. She came over to me and we got a menu and ordered some dinner. She gave me some attention and I felt pretty at home with all my friends. Nothing sexual happening at all. 

Roberta was going on about a bar the Sea Cliff that was closing and how she really wanted to see if they were having a last weekend in business bash. It was a bar I had always been a little afraid to go into. But everyone was going and I didn’t want to be a party pooper so I got in my car and headed up to a place called Little Buster’s. Little Buster’s was also known as Louie’s and was located on the ground floor of what I could only call a flop-house hotel on the edge os one of Glen Cove’s seediest neighborhoods. I wish I could say I am free of all prejudiece and able to live in a black and white world but the plain truth is I’m not. So when I looked in the window and saw a bar with only blacks and mostly male I was very apprehensive about going in. To top it all off my cell phone had a message from Lisa that she was getting off work early and would be home soon if I wanted to stop by. I was standing out front listening to her message and when no one had showed up yet I started to think I’d been tricked. I left a short message for Lisa and peeked inside and saw that they had arrived through the back door.

So in I went but very, very uncomfortable. Everyone was there including the two new guys that I’d just met. Everyone else seemed okay although it was not the festive occasion that we had expected. Apparently their closing was put off another month so there was no party. Only a DJ that was still setting up. So I had a beer and tried to relax and figured if I just kept smiling no one would notice how uncomfortable I was. Then my cell rang and it was Lisa so I stepped outside so we could talk. I decided I wouldn’t abandon my friends so I told Lisa I would not come by, although I really wanted to. While I was talking to her I looked on the ground at this thing that at first looked like a dried leaf but in fact was a dead mouse. That was it … I know I wasn’t long for this place. But I went back inside the bar and made the best of it.

I danced with Roberta for a while and she said to me “I’m going to find a girl for you.” She then grabs the homliest girl I ever saw and introduced us. Next thing I know she’s gone and I’m dancing with this girl who, as near as I could tell, was the only white girl in the place. I looked around and saw Janet talking to one of the younger guys and he had his arm around her but she was holding her hands away. She wasn’t pushing him away though so I just decided I wasn’t going to torture myselfby watching and spent the rest of my time either dancing with Roberta of talking to Judy. Then I noticed the guy and Janet going out the back although Janet had left her coat. Obviously the guy had to go and she just walked him out as she came right back in. He had said he had an early wake up the next day. I’m not sure if they have a history but it won’t surprise me a bit if Janet and he aren’t involved in some way.

So before we all left I made sure to ask them one more time if they wanted to come to the Halloween party on Saturday. They all said yes. Now on to the next part.   

No comments: