Monday, October 24, 2005

My weekend update

I put some more pictures from my upstate 2 weeks ago. Just something to look at I guess. I've got to wonder if anyone ever sees this but me.

On Saturday I went to an outdoor Power Squadron Boating Association Stag Cruise. While there I ate and drank and mostly watched others play poker.  I got cell phone calls from Judy and Lisa. Judy wanted me to go see a band in Glen Cove that night. Lisa just wanted to watch TV. The weather was pretty bad so I decided to go home by around 7.

While heading home on Saturday night I text messaged Lisa and she was at her sister's.  I guess TV got boring. We traded messages back and forth. She didn't ask me to come and even though I am almost like family to them I decided I couldn’t just go uninvited. So I went to Glen Cove where Judy was and because I knew Janet would be at the Downtown bar where the band was playing. I got there at 9:30 with only about $40 so I knew I would probably not stay too long.

I got there too early so I felt pretty ridiculous with no one to talk too but I made the best of it watching the World Series Game 1 on TV. I started to consider this as a bad move since I was spending the last of my pocket money for the week and here I was alone and not even sure if I wanted to be there. I started thinking I should have crashed the gathering at Lisa’s sister’s house. Then the band started and I saw Janet, Roberta, and Judy come in and I felt better. I ended up talking to Roberta a lot. She really wants to go to the Halloween party.  At first Janet didn’t see me so when she did I got a really nice hello. She looked great in a leopard print shirt and jeans that really show what a great ass she has. They had been drinking margaritas so they all had a pretty good buzz.

So I ended up stay longer than I expected. When Roberta and Jady left I still had more to drink and Janet didn’t look like she was leaving so I figured I may as well stay on the off chance I could talk to her with out so many other people involved in the conversation. We didn’t really talk at all because it was a little loud. So when the band stopped I finished my drink and told her I should really get going. She said she would leave with me. We walked to the parking lot just talking and she asked if I wanted to come by on Sunday she would open some wine. Not in a romantic way though. I had to so no as I had to go to the burial of my ex-father-in-law on Sunday at 11:30. Maybe when that was over? 

So she hopped in the SUV and I got in my car and I was home by around 1:30. My cell phone had a message from Lisa on it from around 11 saying she was on her way home. Too late to call back I figured I’d just go home and to bed. So I get home and just before my head hit the pillow my phone rings. What? At 1:30? It’s Lisa… she didn’t feel well. She wasn’t sure what was wrong but she needed Alka-seltzer. She sounded really scared so I went to Walgreens and bought the Alka-seltzer and went to her house. My little voice also kept saying “booty call.” Reality says no.

So I got there and she was laying in her bed awake hold her abdomin and obviously this was no booty call. She was wear full pajamas that looked like something a 5 year-old might have. I made the plop-plop-fizz-fizz and she drank it down. Then I turned off all the lights and layed down next to her and rubbed her back until sleep overtook me. At 5 a.m. I must have started to snore because she woke me up. I knew I needed to go home so I said feel better and went home to get some real sleep.  

So Sunday became all about my ex-wife and her father's burial. In the Jewish tradition there is no funeral or wake. Only a burial that needs to take place quickly and since he died late on Thursday he wasn't ready until Sunday morning. Brenda, my ex, was still very upset but I couldn’t help feeling that part of her grief was more about what people expected than her real inner feelings. You see, I've always felt she has a certain insencere quality with her emotions. It may only be difference from her family and mine but she was getting more emotional when she would first talk to other people about her loss.... almost turning it on and off. I wish I could be sure but being an ex-husband it's better not to try to psycho-analyze too much. I look for flaws when I should just be more accepting. I think I keep trying to validate our divorce.

So the burial went better than I expected. We were afraid there would only be 4 or 5 people there but a few of Brenda's friends came and she sent a car for her Aunt Molly to come from Brooklyn. My brother Barry came with his family so there were a number of morners there. Another traditions is the morners must shovel enough dirt into the grave to cover the casket. It was a lot more shoveling than I expected. Thank God there wasn't any rain. Afterwards I spent 5 hours back at her house with other morners. Several more people came by to pay respects.

So I finally got out of there around 6 p.m. Too late to see Janet. I called. Sorry … Maybe another time then. It was just as well as I was exhausted and needed to sleep early.

No comments: