Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Sylvester's story

Sylvester and Tigger.

Sylvester had to be put to sleep on July 23rd, the day after I took this picture. He had somehow developed a form of diabetes and did not respond to the medication prescribed by my vet. The condition was probably made worse by a rainstorm that caused my entire house to be flooded. It took a week to get the place dried out and get new carpets put in. That's a story for another day.

Sylvester and Tigger came to me more than 10 years ago from Jenny, my English friend. She was here as a nanny and then baby sitter. She got the cats despite my objections. When it came time for her to return home to the U.K. she discovered that the animal laws require that any pets from overseas be quarenteened in Customs for 6 months and the cost of boarding would be prohibitive. They were either coming to me or going to the pound and I had to take them. I couldn't say no. It was probably the best thing I've ever done.

I'd always thought of myself as a dog person but since I've had cats I now realize that having cats is the only way a single person can have a pet. They are great company and take very little effort to be cared for.

Sylvester and Tigger were supposedly born in the same litter. I could never see how they could have the same parents because they are so different. Sylvester prefered quiet and when new peope might come into my house he would hide. He was the more playful cat though. His favorite toy was simply a crumpled up piece of paper. He never ever wanted to leave the inside of the house.  

He was really MY cat. He only ever liked me. Even while he lived with Jenny he would only leave her bedroom when I came over. No one else was worth the effort. He loved to purr. I will miss him. I still think I see him when I first walk into a room.

When I went to the vet on that morning I knew what would likely happen. My decision was made when the vet told me that his kidneys were no longer functioning and he needed radical treatment and the costs would run into more than $1000. And even with that his would need insolin shots and constant care that I just could provide. His quality of life was never going to be what it was and he was very uncomfortable. I decided he didn't need to continue to suffer through all of that and asked the vet to put him to sleep. The vet agreed and said it's the proper thing to do. She said we needed to do it right away.

It was at that moment that I realized that I going to end his life. I really only then started to hit me. I got very emotional but I stayed there with him until the very end. As I felt his life slowly slip away my tears started to flow and it took me some time before I could compose myself. It was so hard to let go of his lifeless body as I left. I only hope my boy is in a better place.

I still have Tigger and I was very worried how he would be since he had never been without Sylvester. It's been a few months now and he's fine although he does seem to be very attached to me. But it's much easier on me with just one cat so I have no intention of getting a new friend for him. No kitten would replace Sylvester anyway.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm getting all teary. I recently got my first pet, an orange and white kitty like I always dreamed about....we named him Gato--Spanish and Italian for cat. I had him for 2 months before he died...reason unknown. That brought on a whole new set of emotions for me because I never had a pet before or lost one...I'm just glad I was with him when he went, although I wish it was in my arms and not on the seat beside me on the way to the vet. :(   I'm sure I'll post pictures soon, I haven't touched on that yet since I've been blogging again. Sylvester looks like a cute little man! And Tigger too! (haha)