Sunday, March 23, 2008

Stupid is what stupid does

Last night I had dinner with Coleen and her boyfriend Mark. Strange but true. This was a scenario I swore I would never do. So here are the details as I remember them....

I was working on my boat until about 5 p.m. and decided to go have a drink before heading home for dinner. I only had $20 so I figured after an hour I would need to go anyway.

I get there and Jami and Judy were already there. I grabbed a spot and enjoyed an ice cold beer. Before too long I saw Coleen and Mark come through the door. They came over and sat down where we were, which for them a unusual because they usually sit off by themselves. But today Coleen came right over by me and we all started talking. I ended up talking mostly to Mark. Me being me, I was feeling like Mark is a good guy so I was just thinking I need to let go of the Coleen thing and try to make a friend. So when Coleen said why don't I join them for dinner ... and by now it was almost 9 o'clock, I decided it was a good idea. Not smart.

So we went to a restaurant/pizza place. We ordered and Mark ate his dinner in about 2 minutes and disappeared to talk to someone outside. I could tell Coleen was feeling a little abandoned, but I didn't mind. I was enjoying her company, but also it was confirming what I'd always suspected. Their relationship is a little less loving than it should be. It's like they've run out of things to say to each other. Coleen said this is what dinner is always like and that she would rather have dinner with me... I said now you are just teasing me. I was a little shocked to find out that they were going to be spending their Easter seperately. Coleen seems very frustrated.

In the end I decided I should move along a little early. So I left while they were still in the restaurant. Coleen was bugging Mark to go but he was going to have another beer. And she needed to go... she had enough wine to get the hiccups and she looked tired. But Mark wanted to stay and I could see Coleen getting mad and I wasn't going to be there is things got tense. So out the door I went. I did get a hug from Coleen that felt just a little more special than I can put into words. Home by 10:30.

So happy Easter. More later.

 

No comments: